Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Joys of Pregnancy

I am not going to sit here and sugar coat how amazing and awesome pregnancy is because right now I am sick of being pregnant. This will be a post of me complaining so feel free to skip it if you don’t want to listen to me vent. Also feel free to not read if you might get offended.

Being pregnant of course is a blessing, and I am grateful every day that I am able to have the opportunity to have children. However, that does not mean that pregnancy does not bring challenges. For me I do not have to deal with much nausea or morning sickness. I also have not had too much back pain, and I have had no signs of any swollen body parts. Instead I have had the challenge of being small and pregnant. When I got pregnant I only weighed 100 pounds, and so far I have gained almost 40lbs. That is me gaining almost 50% of my body weight in a very short amount of time, and that comes with its own aches and pains. I have been so sore. My stomach is so tender, and sensitive. In addition to that I feel every movement the baby makes which is fun until they get stronger and those kicks start to really hurt. Bending over and picking things up is always a daunting task. I started having trouble putting my pants on in the second trimester, and socks well forget it. I pretty much have accepted I am going to be in a lot of pain and remain pretty uncomfortable until this baby is born.

The other challenge for me has been everyone asking me about the pregnancy. Don’t get me wrong I love attention, but I literally cannot even walk inside of Costco without 10 strangers telling me I am hiding a basketball under my shirt, and then asking me my due date, gender, and name I have picked out for the baby. It’s not that I do not enjoy talking about these things, but imagine having this same conversation 20 times a day; it can get extremely exhausting not to mention boring.

On top of that I am constantly being asked how I feel, and the truth is I feel miserable. I feel like people ask me that question expecting some fake cheery response like “life is all butterflies and rainbows” but really I just want to say…”how do you think I feel, I am 38 weeks pregnant.” I would rather they just acknowledge these last few weeks are hard, and then give me some words of encouragement. That way I do not feel the need to put on a fake smile. 

And last there is the challenge of never knowing when the baby is going to come, and that is hard in itself, because you want to be able to physically and emotionally prepare for the arrival of your new sweet baby, but every time you let yourself think the day is coming it doesn’t and then your left filled with disappointment just to wake up to a text asking if the baby came.


Pregnancy is rough, but it’s worth it. I am glad that mine is almost over and I will get to meet Parker in a few short days.

No comments:

Post a Comment